BLACK & WHITE BLENDED SCOTCH WHISKY
Out of stock
Born in Rockville, Ontario in 1849, James Buchanan formed his own whiskey company in 1884 after five years with blender Charles Mackinlay & Co. His flagship whiskey was The Buchanan Blend, a light, smooth unpeated expression designed specifically to appeal to the English palate.
Working with his friend WP Lowrie to create the expression, which initially incorporated Dalwhinnie, Clynelish and Glendullan malts, the Buchanan Blend became an instant hit south of the border and was picked up by the Members Bar at the House of Commons in London. In honor of his prestigious client, Buchanan renamed the blend Buchanan’s House of Commons Finest Old Highland whiskey and presented it in a dark glass bottle with a striking white label. Before long, drinkers began ordering ‘that Black & White whiskey’, and in 1902 the name was officially changed again to Black and White. By then the brand was being exported across the world, and by 1907 it was being ordered by the emperor of Japan. Two years later it had become the most popular blend in England.
James Buchanan & Co. Ltd merged with John Dewar & Son Ltd in 1915, and thence DCL 10 years later. By then the Highland distillery of Dalwhinnie was a core part of the blend, and in time became Black & White’s spiritual home.
There are no enquiries yet.